High School Outreach
There are a variety of opportunities for high school students to connect with Toronto Masque Theatre in our 2015-16 season:
1) Attend a dress rehearsal:
High school students can attend a dress rehearsal of a Mainstage Toronto Masque Theatre production for the low price of $10 per student (readily waived for students in need). Teachers attend for free. Dress rehearsals include an introduction by the TMT creative team and a chance to meet the performing artists in a post-rehearsal talkback.
The Fairy Queen by Henry Purcell
The historic Arts & Letters Club, 14 Elm St., Toronto
1:00 pm, Thursday 267 May 2016, duration approx. 2 hours including break
Toronto Masque Theatre invites you and your students to join us for a fully-staged performance of Henry's Purcell's masterpiece: The Fairy Queen. It is presented with singers, dancers, and an instrumental ensemble. Shakespeare's A Midsummer Night's Dream inspired the themes -- poetry, sleep, love, nature and marriage -- for this "Restoration spectacular" from 1692. It weaves song, chorus and dance in a work that contains some of Purcell's most sublime music. This production is offered with an unexpectedly modern twist! For more information on the production, please click here.
2) Download our study guide and learn more about the masque in your classroom:
Study guides include a general introduction to the masque tradition and a complete history of Toronto Masque Theatre, as well as lesson ideas, activities and assignments to facilitate a "Masque unit", perfect for music, drama, English or dance classes.
For this season, we are offering a complete guide to one of the most charming stage works ever written, The Fairy Queen by Henry Purcell (1659-1695), including a biographical sketch of the composer, background on Shakespeare’s A Midsummer Night’s Dream and an introduction to the performance practice of music from the Baroque era (in preparation for our May production).
3) Invite Toronto Masque Theatre to your school for an informative talk and demonstration. Members of the company are always willing to travel to your school to talk about the masque tradition and the future we see for it as an art form that can have a distinctive Canadian feel. Please contact us and let us know your needs. We would be happy to tailor a session especially you! There is normally a negotiable cost associated with this.
4) Attend Toronto Masque Theatre shows for discounted student prices:
We keep our ticket prices especially low for students ($20) and even lower for groups of 10 or more ($15).
5) Volunteer for Toronto Masque Theatre:
We always have room for volunteers in our organization, either on a one-off or regular basis. Get in touch with us and get involved in the exciting world of the arts.
Vivian Moens at 416-410-4561 or write to firstname.lastname@example.org
Dress rehearsal tickets:
$10 / students (readily waived for students in need)
Teachers and chaperones attend free of charge
Group discount student tickets (regular shows):
Normally $20, groups of 10 or more pay $15 per student. Teachers attend free.